Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Change in Heart and a "Beautifully Informed" Website

Hello dear readers,

I'm finally free of the stress of sleep deprivation, terrible professors, and no time for much of a social life. Yes, that's right: I'm on spring break for a week! Hopefully, this means I will be able to post more often, despite the fact that I still have math homework, a novel to read, and a parody of William Faulkner to write.

I actually already wrote this post, but as I was trying to fix the spacing I somehow deleted the entire post and spent a ridiculously long time trying without success to recover it. So here I go again.

Onto my first order of business: You may recall that I raved about and defended the Physicians Formula Concealer 101 Perfecting Concealer Duo in Green/Light here. I still do believe that the "skin" colored side of this concealer is workable, and that this is a very good cream to powder concealer. The key here is the word "powder".

My skin is dry to combination, sensitive, and acne prone. In the summer and fall months, this product worked excellently to cover up redness and blemishes. It worked so well, in fact, that I had multiple family members and friends comment on how clear my skin was. [In case you're wondering, it wasn't]. However, this winter my skin has gotten extremely dry and this concealer not only cakes up but also draws attention to flakiness, as any makeup maven will realize that powder tends to do.

In short, I am seeking a great new concealer. In the same post as mentioned above, I also talked about the undereye concealer dilemma I'm experiencing. Essentially I am now on the hunt for a concealer that covers undereye circles as well as redness and blemishes, and I'm also considering tinted moisturizer to help even out skin tone. As someone who has only ever worn concealer, powder, and lipstick, I don't want to start on something as full coverage as foundation if I can avoid it.

The first product I'm contemplating is one that I've read reviews of on the site that I'll mention if you'll stick with me through this post. It got the second highest rating of "Very Good" as well as numerous great reviews by other girls on YouTube such as Pinkiecharm.

This is the CG Aqua Smoothers Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15.
Image from http://www.soap.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=63583



This moisturizer is supposed to be great for evening skin tone while giving a very sheer wash of color and providing decent sun protection.

The next product is a concealer I'm considering and was also recommended by the website, which I PROMISE I'll get to, as well as Xteener on YouTube. It is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfector.

Image fromhttp://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=368441&storeId=10052&langId=-1

This product is supposed to provide excellent undereye coverage as well as a useful highlighter, though it does seem a bit pricey for the amount you get. Call me naive, but I imagine using this up pretty quickly. Maybe it really doesn't take much.

The final product is one I've heard about solely from its massive following on YouTube. Videos praising this concealer have been popping up so often recently that it won't be hard to find one unless you spell every single word completely wrong. This would be the Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer.

Image from http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=11/pagesize=10/ItemID=137788/

This product is reviewed on the website in the caption, as I've just discovered. It's supposed to have great coverage, but some people don't like it as an undereye concealer, and some people don't like it for redness. Others think it's great for everything, so I'll have to do some more research.

Now on to the website at last. This wonderful website is called Beautypedia, and it is run by Paula Begoun, creator of Paula's Choice, and her Cosmetics Cop team. They do really great reviews on products, and remain unbiased towards price. In fact, she and her team actually give harsh reviews to products that may be decent but charge outrageous prices for the amount of product you're getting.


This website used to be available only to paying subscribers, but became permanently free after the free trial months of January and February. Paula Begoun also has a radio show, where she uses the slogan "Keeping You Beautifully Informed," which I think is quite appropriate for what she does.


I first found out about the website when I subscribed to the Paula's Choice newsletter at the recommendation of my mom. No, I'm not being paid to mention this site, and Paula and her team have no idea how much I love their website.


Now, occasionally I'll find a product I love on her Average list. That's completely fine, because generally the aspects of the product that she thinks could be potential irritants don't actually harm my skin. The site is constantly updated with a comprehensive overview of products, and you can click on the Best Products to see what she and her team rate the highest.


Image from http://www.killerstartups.com/review/beautypedia-com-expert-cosmetic-reviews

So that's all, folks. I really think this website is worth a look.

Also, if you would like to let me know your favorite concealers and/or tinted moisturizers, the feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Onto the hunt for the perfect complexion perfectors!

xEsther







No comments:

Post a Comment