Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Favorite Posts and Series of 2011


Hello, dear readers,

For fear of appearing to self-promote, I initially decided against writing this post. As you can tell from the title, this is a list of my favorite posts. Emphasis on the word "my." Don't get me wrong; I subscribe to a zillion blogs with better picture quality, writing, and/or post ideas. The reason I'm rattling off the names of the posts I wrote is for no other reason than how proud of them I am. During one of my personal worst years, I was able to get this blog going. Hence, I feel no shame in naming the posts or series that I consider my personal best, found the most fun to write, etc. I know we're well into January now, but if you don't mind, I don't mind. You don't have to click the links to any of them; they're just there so that if you do want to have a look, you don't spend time searching for them.

In no particular order, here we go:

Top 3 Posts

1. Pop Culture Favorites of 2011

This was one of the most fun posts for me to write. Anyone who knows me is aware that I love pop culture. Movies, books, music, websites: You name it; I can name a current favorite. I'm especially fond of movies and books, so it was a great deal of fun to write the most concise summaries I've ever written about all of my favorites. This post also took quite some time to come up with, write, and find pictures for. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and I think it's also fairly original, as compared to other favorites posts that I've done.

2. Skincare Tips Parts 1 and 2

Skincare is somewhat of a scientific hobby for me. What I mean by that is that I research ingredients to the best of my ability, compare articles, and go with science in the end. There may be conflicting ideas on different beauty blogs or magazines, but it's ultimately down to chemistry as far as products go, and science as far as following skincare rules goes. Technically, these are two posts, but they were really meant to be written as one. That post was far too long, so I split it in two. These were quite labor intensive in the most entertaining of ways. I loved writing everything I know about skincare, and I do believe that at least most of it is correct!

3. Best 11 of 2011

Ah, finally a post in which I use my own pictures, shot in pretty decent daylight. I'm pretty happy about the way these pictures came out, and how short the descriptions were on each product. This took a long time, too, but mostly because I needed to decide which products to choose. The picture-taking and editing didn't actually take too long. I got lucky with the lighting.

Top 3 Series

1. Let's Do...A Book Review 

It all started after I read Water for Elephants. The movie had either just come out or was about to come out, so I frantically rushed to read the book, and I fell in love with the story. That review started the series. I also realize that after this series I began to use the ellipses a lot more. I really enjoy reading, and this series encourages me to keep reading books so I can find more to review. The most rewarding part is when the reviews make people want to read the books afterwards.

2. Awards Show Fashion Series

I have always been an Oscars fanatic, far before my friends found out about it, but I never fail to watch the red carpet interviews for the half hour before the show. I absolutely love hearing stars answer the "Who are you wearing?" question with the names of famous designers casually slipping off their lips. Half the fun of awards shows is seeing the fashion, and reading about it in the paper the next day. So I thought: I'm watching the Oscars; why not do a review myself? That started my series of awards show fashion favorites posts.

3. Lately I've Been Loving... Series

This is just something I started to remind myself of the good things going on at the time. I know beauty bloggers tend to write about favorite makeup and hair products, and I figured it would be nice to write about all the other wonderful things I happened to appreciate at the time. The series has helped me focus on the positive, even if just for a short time after each post.


Those are all my favorite posts and series. What posts did you write that you liked the best this year?

Have a wonderful weekend.

xEsther




No comments:

Post a Comment