Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quick Tip: Reviving Old Nail Polish

Hello, dear readers,

Do any of you accumulate nail polish at inhuman speed? If so, you may end up in my situation. You see, since I was nine or ten, I've been collecting the digit paints like they'd go out of style. This means that now I have somewhere around fifty, and many of them are sticky and seem unusable.

I thought I'd have to throw them all out until my friend gave me this tip, which I'm sure has appeared in a magazine at some point as it sounds familiar: Simply put a few drops of nail polish remover in your nail polish, shake it up, and paint it on.

The polish remover works to thin out the polish a bit, without actually ruining the polish at all. The way I do this is to pour a bit of remover from the bottle into the cap. I pour the desired amount from the cap of the remover into the bottle of nail polish. This way I avoid spilling half a bottle of remover into my nail polish and can measure the desired amount from the remover's cap, a much safer bet for me, a spillage connoisseur.

I'm very pleased to say that this actually works! I started painting my nails with Sinful Colors #10 Aqua polish, purchased during middle school [somewhere between the ages of 11-14, for those of you outside the U.S.] at the latest, and it came out gloppy and sticky. I poured some remover into the cap, and then from cap to nail polish, closed the nail polish and shook it, and, voilá!, a much smoother consistency and usable nail paint.
Image from http://www.polyvore.com/sinful_colors_nail-polish_in_aqua/thing?id=23833032

As this shade of polish is so old, I don't know if the brand still makes it, but it comes out just like the picture of it in the bottle.

To salvaging nail polishes!

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment