Friday, June 24, 2011

Now That You've Pointed That Out...


No one cares!

For those of you who are wondering why I'm so incredibly heartless, please give me a moment to explain. I'm talking specifically about our "flaws" here. Why is flaws in quotes? you wonder as you consider closing this page altogether and reading about the Kardashian sisters instead.

Well, that's an easy answer: Things we consider to be flaws are often considered lovely by other people. I used to be extremely self-conscious of a birthmark above my eyebrow, so I didn't grow out my blunt bangs for years [yes, I had blunt bangs. My hair was stick straight then]. When I finally did, I still parted my hair so it was covered up.

I only ever had one comment on that birthmark, and I'm 99 percent sure it was only because I pointed it out. I mentioned something about not wanting to grow out my bangs because I didn't want my birthmark to show. And you know what? I really doubt my friend cared, seeing as if she did, I'd probably remember how she responded.

So, you see? No one actually cares about all your millions of self-perceived imperfections.

Then there's the other kind of imperfection: you put on a few pounds from eating an unhealthy diet or lacking in your exercise routine; you have a blemish that you're positive has a sign on it saying, "Look at me!"; you have some cellulite on your thighs from general growing up and naturally changing sizes.

I'm pretty sure this model doesn't even have a blemish!


Guess what? No one notices. Only the people that absolutely have serious self-esteem issues will notice all the negatives you might possess. Or perhaps a family member will carelessly ask, "Did you put on some weight?" Those are the people hardwired to notice because they're either tactless [as in the case of many family members; don't tell me you don't have any of the like] or feel validated by finding fault in others.

Honestly, we're all so concerned with how we look, act, and present ourselves, that we should know everyone else is doing the same. They're measuring their own flaws and not worrying about yours. If only we can stop worrying about what other people think, we'll be so much happier. However, for most people we'll never completely stop wondering what others think.

For now, the next time you feel an overwhelming desire to complain about the "enormous" zit on your forehead, resist the urge to point it out.

Because, truly, no one else sees it.

To a healthier point of view on you, by you, and for you [no one else!]!

xEsther

P.S. I apologize for posting less often. I blame work. And no sleep, which is another post topic altogether.

Images from:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_3112514_suprised-girl-pointing-at-copy-space--portrait-of-a-beautiful-young-business-woman-looking-up.html
http://www.acnescartreatmentsite.com/tag/acne-scarring/

2 comments: