Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Here's to Real Beauty(.com)!

Hello, dear readers,

I'm not sure why I haven't mentioned this website before. It really doesn't make any sense considering how much time I spend reading the articles on there. It's called Real Beauty. I'm not entirely sure why I started getting emails from them, but I'm guessing it's because it's associated with Hearst Communications, INC., and therefore as a subscriber to a Hearst magazine the website somehow got my email from there. In any case, it's not one of the emails associated with Hearst that get immediately relocated to the Junk folder of my email. 

If you don't already get emails from this website, you can sign up in the upper righthand corner of the homepage. In the emails are lists of articles that are either new or pertinent to the current season or current events in the beauty/fashion/celebrity/health world. The articles either come from Real Beauty or the Marie Claire website. The articles are either small slide shows, Q & A's with makeup artists and/or celebrities, and your average one, two, or three page articles, which are broken up into easy-to-read sections.


Screenshot from http://whois-domain-find.com/info/www.realbeauty.com
As you can see in the image, there are sections for Hairstyles & Color, Skin & Makeup, Body & Mind, Diet & Fitness, and Shopping. It's mostly superficial fluff, but it does give some insight on new beauty products, trends, celebrity beauty and fashion, hair tips for different hair types, skincare tips, and health and fitness. It's really fun for me to go through the emails and open up all the links I want to read and just go through window by window inhaling the information.

Of course, if you don't sign up, there's no downside. It just means you probably won't get the Marie Claire links, but I'm pretty sure that Real Beauty gets some of its stories from that site anyway. So honestly you're not missing out. Signing up will allow you to take a survey on your skin type, hair, fitness concerns, and interests in general. It will then create your personalized beauty book with recommended articles. I think now if you sign up you may be entered to win some sort of Sephora prize, but don't take my word for it, and it wasn't going on that I knew of when I signed up.

To be quite frank, I never look at my recommended articles. The reason is because the beauty book is a drop down box in the upper right hand corner and is always open and in the way when I'm trying to read an article linked from my email. I always close the beauty book and ignore it because I see it as something that gets in the way.

This site is very cutesy looking and not too cluttered, I think, and I find the name rather ironic because it seems to promote, outside the health and fitness section, that real beauty is purely superficial, which we all know is not true.

So have a look and let me know what you think.

Have a beautiful day!

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment