Friday, April 1, 2011

Mini Review: CG Aqua Smoothers Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15

Hello dear readers,

I've had the CG Aqua Smoothers Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 for a few weeks now, so I think it's about time I give you my opinion on it. I gave my very first impressions of it here, and I have to say I'm really liking it.


The color I have it in, as you may be able to tell from the picture, is Fair to Light, number 805. Here are the product's claims from the CoverGirl website:

Designed with AquaCurrent Science, this lightweight moisturizer with SPF 15 has a sheer tint of color to help even out skin tone and hydrate skin. Its sunscreen provides UVA/UVB protection from everyday sun exposure, while the Gel Complex formula glides on for a barely-there coverage that's fresh and smooth.

I find that the only "downside," which I honestly don't consider a downside, is that it is not hydrating enough for me. As a moisturizer, it isn't stellar, but it's not bad at all either. If you have dry to dry/combination skin especially, I would use a regular moisturizer first and let it sink in a little before applying the tinted moisturizer, as you would with a foundation.

If you've read my blog before, you'll know that I am extremely fair, and the amount of color and the shade of this product are absolutely perfect for me. You can see my pictures here and here, and if you're just a bit less pale than I am, but not too much darker, I'd most certainly go for the Light to Medium shade. I do believe I'm actually wearing the moisturizer in those pictures, so you can see that I still look quite fair. However, although the lighting is terrible in this picture, you can get an idea of what I look like without the tinted moisturizer and see that it actually does bring a hint of color to my face.

There are four available shades: 805 Fair to Light, 810 Light to Medium, 815 Medium to Dark, and 820 Deep. I can't speak to the pigmentation in the darker shades, but I do think it's nice that they actually offer deeper shades, as some drugstore companies can lack in shade ranges from time to time.

It definitely does even out my skin tone, and helps minimize the look of pores, but if you're looking for full or even medium coverage for discolorations, you should go for a foundation.

The SPF 15 is partly composed of the mineral sunscreen zinc oxide, which is a great physical block against UV rays. My regular moisturizer has mineral sunscreen as well, so this is an added layer of protection.

This product lasts a pretty long time. I couldn't really give you an hour amount, because I haven't the time to examine how it looks throughout the day as I'm in class much of the time. I tend to set it with a powder because I do get midday oiliness, and that sort of helps keep the oiliness at bay a bit longer.

If you have really oily skin and don't want any sort of glow, then this might not be the product for you, but I love the slight glow, hint of color and sheer coverage, and smoothing and evening effects it has.

I have no idea what AquaCurrent technology is, but I find it amusing when companies come up with cutesy names to describe what are probably basic ingredients.

You can read another review of it on Beautypedia, which gives a more concise summary of what I just said, but is a professional product review website so I give it a lot of credit for my choice of purchase. It also gives an ingredients list, which I find quite useful.

I hope this was helpful for those of you looking for sheerer coverage, especially as we head into spring and approach the summer months.

Warm weather is on its way!

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment