Sunday, January 2, 2011

Favorite Skincare Line: Olay

Hello!


Today I thought I'd do a post on a skincare line that's served me well for years. My absolute favorite skincare brand is Olay. Through the ups and downs of my struggle with hormone-aggravated acne, and dry/sensitive/combination skin, Olay has always proved to be a very simple and very effective skincare range. The products I use never break me out and are very well formulated. My skincare routine is extremely simple because I also use prescription acne medication. I'd rather use gentle products for the rest of my skincare and let the prescriptions dig in deeper and do the dirty work.


Here are my absolute favorites:


                                Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer, SPF 15, Sensitive Skin





The sensitive skin range is obviously the one I reach for, as I have very touchy skin. However, I would recommend that everyone try the sensitive skin range as it's the only SPF 15 moisturizer from Olay with physical sun protection. This means that the sun protection is derived from minerals and physically blocks the rays from damaging your skin. The mineral sunblock in this product is zinc oxide. Zinc oxide and titanium oxide are the best ingredients to look for in sun protection because they are physical rather than chemical blocks and better protect from signs of aging as well as all sun damage. It also contains Vitamin E, an antioxidant that works against aging, soothing aloe, and it's non-comedogenic and fragrance free, meaning it won't clog pores or irritate skin. Some people might think SPF 15 isn't enough, but it works just fine for me during fall and winter when I'm not outside as much.


                    Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer SPF 30, Sensitive Skin



In the spring and summer, I reach for the SPF 30 version. Unlike the SPF 15, I do believe all the ranges of SPF 30 moisturizers from Olay have zinc oxide in them. It's formulated the same way as its less-strong contemporary, with Vitamin E, aloe, and physical sun protection. Both these products last forever even though I like to slather on my sun protection. I've been using both of these since I was about 12, and seven years later I still absolutely love them. Neither have caused me breakouts or irritated my skin in any way, and my face has never been burned or seen any signs of sun damage while wearing them. Again, it's fragrance free and non-comedogenic. Both are also oil free and dermatologist tested.


                                        Olay Foaming Face Wash Sensitive Skin


The last skincare product I use from Olay is their foaming face wash. This is soap and oil free as well as fragrance and dye free. It doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate, which is really the most harmful of the sulfates. There's a lot of debate in the beauty community about sulfates, but according to Paula's Choice Beauty Bulletin, which does scientific research of ingredients in skincare and makeup, it's sodium lauryl sulfate that people should worry about the most, not sodium laureth or ammonium sulfates. Again, I like to use gentle cleansers so that they don't interfere with my prescriptions, and so far this has done the trick quite well.

Olay is a fabulous skincare brand, and their anti-aging lines are supposed to be great as well. I've only done research on the products I use consistently, but I'm sure there are other winners in Olay's ranges of skincare.

What are some of your skincare favorites?

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment