Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tag Time! "The Child in You"


Yes, that is me! Aged 9 or 10, in a class play.
 Wearing leggings as pants way before that  
 trend [unfortunately] became popular.        


Hello, dear readers,

I just couldn't go another day without making another tag post, could I? Don't you just dig my costume and the full bangs [fringe] I'm rocking in the photo? My hair used to be so straight.

Anyway, I saw this tag on Evelina's Youtube Channel, and I believe she created it herself. I thought it would be a fun tag to do, though I'm still a couple months shy of 20 [yikes!] and realize that I'm still quite young.

Here are the questions:


1. As a kid, what was your dream job? 
I can pick more than one, right? I wanted to be a teacher, an author, a singer, a ballerina, and I think that about sums it up.

2. How old were you when you found out that Santa wasn't real and how'd you find out?

Besides the fact that I'm not Christian and don't celebrate Christmas, I was also one of the logical children who knew that the tooth fairy wasn't real and would stay up waiting for her parents to come in. They eventually started leaving me gifts in the dining room or on my kitchen chair. So regardless of religious beliefs, I never once doubted that Santa was another parent-enforced imaginary character. Sorry children.

3. What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?

I tended to wear all costumes my mom made me, so I kind of loved them all. The one I actually liked the most was the one I was embarrassed by most as well. It was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, and my mom had worked very hard on it for me. When I got to school, and this must have been somewhere around the age of 12, a boy in my class decided to tell me that his little sister had the same costume. Ouch. I also enjoyed dressing up as a gypsy in kindergarten and a ballerina in elementary school. I did ballet at the time so that was easy.

4. What were your favorite cartoons/shows as a kid?

I didn't have cable TV, and still don't, so I loved shows like Arthur. In middle school [between the ages of 11 and 14, for those of you in other countries than the U.S.] I loved That 70s Show and What I Like About You.

5. Was there a band/musician you were completely obsessed with growing up?

I was never "hip" to the current craze in bands or musicians, so I couldn't really have a favorite until I was slightly older. I also tended to copy my siblings in their taste. That has changed by now. In middle school, I was obsessed with The All American Rejects and The Fray. I probably also liked Green Day and Fall Out Boy. Very emo and strange compared to my taste today, though I still really like certain songs from each of the groups.

6. Do you still watch any cartoons? If so, which ones?

My dad is still very much a kid at heart when it comes to cartoons, so I watch the ones he has on DVD, from companies like Warner Bros. Of course I still watch Disney cartoon movies.

7. What's one habit from your childhood that's stuck with you till this day?

I cannot finish one book at a time. If you've read earlier tags, you'll know that since I was quite young I've been unable to start less than five books at once. I always have them on rotation until I finally finish one. The rare exception is usually a really good historical fiction or girly book, like those by Philippa Gregory or Jane Green.

8. Let's be real, do you have jam sessions in your car and go wild dancing?

Yes. With my best friends. While one of them is driving. Until I freak out and tell whoever's driving not to kill us all.

9. You're at a hotel - do you steal the shampoos and conditioners from your room? 

Obviously. They're there to be used. Also for us to get more the next day and take several samples home. My mom recently scored a Peter Thomas Roth sample bottle of conditioner at a hotel and sent it to me at college. I was quite excited.

10. Looking back at things now, what advice would you give to your younger self?

Honestly, I'm still trying to give myself this advice now. I think I would [and do] tell myself to take comments/ compliments for what they are and not let them cause you to obsess over whatever it is was said. For example, when someone said I was petite back when I was nine or so, I obsessed over my weight and it contributed to a fear of weight gain that I still have today. See how bad it is to overanalyze? That's it: I'm still telling myself to stop overanalyzing everything anyone says and to not let others define me.



There it is: The child in me is still "very much alive". [Anyone get the Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets reference to the scene in the chamber with Tom Riddle? No? *Hangs head and keeps writing*]

Please feel free to answer these questions on your blog. I think it's a great tag, and something as yet unseen on the world wide web.

Hope your weekend was lovely!

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment