Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 Golden Globes: Black, Pastel, and Red All Over


Hello, dear readers,

As many of you may know, the Golden Globes aired this past Sunday. However, and I'm looking at you here, you can't pretend you weren't paying just as much, if not more, attention to the fashion on the red carpet. Everyone know half the fun is picking out your favorite and least favorite outfits. I don't watch the Golden Globes, but I do look up the award winners and, let's face it, pictures of the stars in their couture. This awards show didn't afford me the chance to write a best-of post, because none of these dresses stood out to me as particularly stunning. Instead, I'm commenting on some of the big trends I noticed and showcasing some of the photos I found that best display these patterns.
Source
Let's start off with the ladies who chose to match the red carpet. I'm not sure what's going on with Marion Cotillard's tomato-hued, asymmetrical dress and not-quite-matching heels. Zooey Deschanel kept it classy with a sweetheart neckline and pearls, not to mention the coordinating lipstick. Jennifer Lawrence seemed to be one of the biggest hits of the night, but I can't say I love how pointy the top is. As for Claire Danes, she looked timeless in an orangey-red number.

Source
Plenty of celebrities chose to grace the red carpet in pale blush, a shade that can wash out pale skin all too easily. Amanda Seyfried and Amy Adams are lovely ladies, but this hue drained the color from their complexions and did nothing to complement the colors of their hair. I'm not really sure what I think of Megan Fox's  dress, but she did manage to carry off the pinky-nude better than the aforementioned stars. I think Hayden Panettiere was the most successful at pulling off this tricky pastel. I'm not a huge fan of the mermaid tail, but the dress was flattering. Her skin tone worked the best with this trendy color.

Source
Another fair hue to hit the carpet was the lightest of blues. Honestly, I don't like a single one of these dresses. That's all I can say. Better luck with your fashion selection next time, girls.

Source
Oh, look! More pastels! From peach to pale green to washed-out lavender, the carpet was littered with pastels. Jessica Alba's gown suited her, but Rosario Dawson could have used a lower neckline. I have nothing to say about the other two, except that they were not at all flattering.

Source
Then there was the abundance of black: The little black dress, little black suit, etc. Everyone was raving over Katharine McPhee's dress, but I think she needed some more fabric up top. None of the other styles were particularly exciting. Most were fairly boring and/or weird.

Source
Source
Please excuse the multiple shots of Taylor Swift. The last trend that I noticed was a tendency towards deep burgundies and everyone's favorite oxblood shade. Poor Lena Dunham looked frumpy in a gown that was all wrong for her proportions. Jennifer Garner and Naomi Watts flashed smiles to accessorize their deep crimson dresses. I don't know what to think of Taylor Swift's outfit. It was very different than her typical sparkly, girly style, and I'm afraid she might have been taking herself too seriously.
Source
Last, but not least, I'm sharing what I believe to be one of the night's biggest hits, which doesn't happen to fit into any of the trends. Anne Hathaway shone brightly at the Golden Globes in an embellished Chanel gown, keeping accessories minimal and hair perfectly swept to the side. This isn't my all-time favorite red carpet dress, but Anne looked radiant.

I apologize for not listing designers as I usually do, but I wanted to get this post out while the Golden Globes were still in the [somewhat] recent past.

Hope you enjoyed this overview of the prevailing 2013 Golden Globes fashion trends.

xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment