Friday, February 4, 2011

A Little Website I Stumbled Upon...

Hello everyone!

So after a week of snow days that did nothing to lighten the load of homework and studying on my agenda, I've almost survived. One more class and I'm off on a whim to Cincinnati, Ohio, with a couple of friends for one of their school activities involving student government. I thought I'd do a semi-unrelated/different post for today because I want to share with you a website I quite literally stumbled upon on my Facebook newsfeed. The site is called, wait for it, StumbleUpon


Image from Mashable.com

I'm hoping this picture shows up, as it's the welcome page for the website. Now I'm sure some of you, if not all, have heard of it, but here's the rundown just in case:

StumbleUpon is a website that allows you to create an account and choose the subjects that interest you. Simple as that. Once you choose the subjects, you can choose to view "All Topics" or choose just one. What this does is lead you to websites it thinks you might like. And it does an excellent job.

A few of the categories I chose to browse were the following: Books, Clothing, Shopping, Music, Movies, Celebrities, Health and Fitness. Ok, so that's quite a bit more than a few. 

I've definitely spent the most of my time browsing the Beauty section. It brings up numerous beauty blogs and websites that I'd never before heard of, such as Makeup and Beauty Blog and The Hair Book, among others.

I've also browsed the Book section, which led me to this fabulous website here, which allows you to type in the author or title of a book you like and it comes up with matches of other recommended books. Personally, I'm very excited about this feature. If you want it to remember your preferences, you can create an account, but to be quite honest I've got too many accounts on different websites, so I'm happy just writing down/typing out the results.

The Health and Fitness sections lead to websites with great exercise tips and encouragement, as well as healthy eating, such as this website that popped up just this morning.

By this point, I bet you're getting an idea that I think this website is brilliant. Be warned, though, it's a huge distractor. But when you're sitting around waiting for your friends to show up, in between classes, or simply lacking the creativity to think of something else to do, take a look at this site.

I bet you'll be draw in, too.


xEsther

No comments:

Post a Comment